I was watching an episode on The Science Channel called Galapagos - Beyond Darwin, describing new explorations of the Galapagos archipelago. On this trip, they bring a variety of marine scientists, a new submersible that specializes in "sucking up" the delicate lifeforms (rather than pulling them up in nets), and the use of SCUBA for shallow water. It was a fascinating trip to a land where life evolved in unique ways (as many islands do), but these islands were too far away for land animals to get to, so instead of Bison or Cows, the Galapagos have huge turtles that do the herbivorous grazing. Reptiles and birds filled niches usually reserved for mammals. Fascinating.... so beautiful.... so natural....
WHAT? MICROSOFT IS MAKING A BID TO TAKE OVER YAHOO? Time to crank up the quote streamer.
- And now that they have trans-vaginal surgery down, you can get your prostate removed through your mouth. YAY!
- In another case of Them, not You, I dutifully cut-and-pasted "the code" into my PDA, before I realized I had no idea what to do with this inexplicable string of hex code. It does make a pretty little tune though. My favorite quote so far: One Digg member, Grant Robertson, said the incident reminded him of a quote from "NewsRadio," the 1990s TV show: "You can't take something off the Internet. That's like trying to take pee out of a swimming pool" (via latimes.com).
- The ridiculous story of Judge Ron Pearson (Administrative Law Judge, Washington DC) and his suit against a mom-and-pop dry cleaning business over a pair of pants. The suit includes $15000 so he can rent a car on weekends to use another dry cleaner. Here's a letter asking that he lose his job.
- Another one of our favorite shows, Gilmore Girls, will be ending this month. A show that had to grow on me at first, I didn't like the quick-paced dialogue that actually is a hallmark for the show. The CW network is also killing off Veronica Mars. I guess I'll be reading more.
- Scientists predict that invisibility will be possible for objects of any shape and size within the next decade.