GODS, what a good movie. I mean, I could just write that sentence for the next few paragraphs. Everything about it was great -- the characters, the acting, the action, the special effects, the one-liners, all of it.
If you're a Trekkie concerned about [whatever], just stop all that silly nonsense and go see the movie. [No spoilers until after the jump...]
- They totally explain the subtle (and not-so-subtle) divergence from the Star Trek Canon. At this point, they can do whatever they want with the upcoming movies and it will be ok (trust me).
- Every scene where you are introduced to the original characters is electrifying.
- When the first shot of the Enterprise 1701 came on screen, I shed a tear. She's an important character in the film and story and she's great in a bitch fight. She really gets a chance to clean her claws.
- The action is great. More importantly, it carries the film forward, and never seemed pretentious, extravagant or unnecessary.
- You get to know James Tiberius Kirk, and you know why he's the kind of guy that he is.
- The magical friendship between Spock and Kirk is pure and real and will make your heart ache. The neat thing is that, every once in a while, you can see William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy while watching Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto.
[Spoilers after the jump]